Friday, October 5, 2012

Chapter 5


1.  The issue of race - does the government do too little or too much to reduce the instances of racial discrimination? Why or how so?
I do not think our government does too much to reduce racial discrimination. I find it hard to believe that as early as fifty years ago, black people had so little freedom. If the government had not stepped up, things would never have changed. I am 52 years old and I remember the first black student at my middle school. They started bussing students from across town and I remember the anger of the people of that time. That was in the early seventies.  Now, people would find that unbelievable. Without some of the landmark decisions by the courts we would not be where we are today. They deserve equality just as much as anyone else does.

2. The issue of gender - does the government do too little or too much to reduce the instances of gender discrimination? Why or how so?
I personally think the government should do more to promote equality for women. If we did not have groups such as the National Organization for Women  we would not have come as far as we have in ending discrimination. Without them we would not have had a proposed Equal Rights Amendment or the Equal Pay Act. As I have learned from the text women still do not have equal pay. The government needs to do more, not less.

3. The issue of sexual orientation - does the government do too little or too much to reduce the instances of sexual orientation? Why or how so?
I am unsure how I feel about this issue. My christian beliefs tell me it is wrong to be homosexual. Yet I think all people should have choices, so maybe things are leading in the right direction. .At least the government is recognizing that it exists and slowly working toward a solution. They certainly are not going to stop it.
 






No comments:

Post a Comment