Friday, October 5, 2012

Chapter 6



1. Polls: http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/pollingcenter/

Is American news media too dependent upon polls?
 I think they are way too dependent on the polls. By reading the text I understand there can be many errors in them but the media plays them up as though they are fact.

 Is it appropriate for news agencies to create polls and then report on them?
No, i really do not find it appropriate.

Why or why not? 
I think polls can be very bias depending on who is doing the polling. I think
they report what is in their best interest.

2. How important is political party identification to you (e.g. as a Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, etc.)?
 It has never been very important to me as an individual. I have always said I was more or less democrat but I have always voted for whoever I thought would do the best job. I have always thought of myself as a fairly liberal person. Now I don't know how I feel about either party. I do not think Obama has done a very good job, but I disagree with so much of what Romney has been saying. I guess we just have to vote for what we think is the lesser of two evils.

Was it more or less important to your parents & grandparents?
Party affiliation is very important to my parents. They are strickly Republican and would never vote any other way. My grandparents basically felt the same way.  I come from a very strong Republican family.

Does it seem more or less important to your friends? I think that this election is probably more important to my friends than those in the past.

Why or why not?
I think everyone finds this election of great interest due to the economy. Everybody knows someone who is out of work right now, or has been affected in a negative way.

3. Do you feel that you opinion of politics is more influenced by economic issues or by social issues? Why?
I think in this election it is all about economic issues. America appears to be in trouble and the economy just does not seem to be getting any better. The price of everything just keeps going up.


I posted on Sarah Bates, Donna Binford & Lisa Bryson this week
 

5 comments:

  1. I agree that the media is way too dependant upon polls and too that they may be ignoring biasm and errors. Even though your views on partisan is similar to my wife's, I feel that by identifying with a party expresses more what I believe. But, you are right, in that our economy is driving this election.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very good post. I think everyone would agree that the economy is in horrible shape and its not going to get any better anytime soon I think. The media could in fact, and most actually do, report what they want to report whether its actual fact or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the economy is in big trouble and does not seem to be improving. It seems to me that everyone is working harder and is still getting nowhere. Even families have to have two incomes today. I find it very frustrating as a young adult that this is all I have to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the media is too dependent on polls and that they do not talk about the margin of error in the polls taken. I also agree that out economy is in trouble and doesn't seem to be improving in a quick manor, and agree that the state of our economy is a huge driving force behind this election.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too agree that the media is way dependent on polls and that they do not show things in an honest fashion. They merely play deceit upon viewers of their media.

    ReplyDelete